Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela
“A leader… is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”
How do you wish to lead?
You have moved into a new leadership role – frontline management, manager of managers, or executive – and feel overwhelmed by the additional, and seemingly endless, responsibilities. What got you to the new role won’t work in the next role, leaving you lost and confused about how to proceed.
The answers you seek are already inside you. I will partner with you to unlock those answers and reveal the strong, inspiring leader you seek to become. We will use the VIS formula, that is we will practice Introspection to bring awareness to your biggest concerns as a new leader, define what you Value most about leadership by considering those leaders whom you respect, and tell your Story, first to yourself, and then to your direct reports, leadership, and peers about the leader you are and the leader you want to become.
This is for you if
- You have stepped into a leadership role at your level for the first time, and you don’t know what you’re doing
- You fear that you’re going to mess up your direct reports’ lives
- You don’t know your leadership style
- You have no idea how to manage managers who report to you
- You have a hard time with difficult conversations
- You don’t have a vision and/or mission for your team
- You find it difficult to speak your truth to your team, peers, leadership, and/or board members
- You have a hard time making progress with your agenda
This isn’t for you if
- You think leadership is exclusively about asserting your power and dominance
- You are seeking training in leadership skills
- You are seeking a consultant who will tell you how you should lead
- You are disinterested in learning and growing
- You think coaching happens exclusively during our sessions (the majority of coaching happens between our sessions as you attempt the homework that you assign yourself)
- You don’t engage in a session at least once every 5 weeks (unless there are extenuating circumstances)
- You are seeking a therapist or counselor to heal the wounds of your past or to address a chronic situation like depression
Each package includes the following:
- 1 x An informal 30-60 minute introductory conversation – I share a bit more about myself, explain a bit more about what coaching is and how I do it, and seek to understand how coaching might help you.
- 1 x the Hogan Assessments and Review – Together we’ll review the results of these completed assessments. They provide insight into how people experience you. Whether or not you proceed with a full coaching partnership, the realizations that you’ll gain from the Hogan assessments and debrief alone will change the way you view your world. See more about the Hogan Assessment here.
- Assigned homework at the end of each coaching session – Coaching sessions plant seeds. What happens in between the sessions is what makes those seeds grow. You will assign yourself homework at the end of each session, and we’ll review that homework within the following session.
- Support between sessions – I am at your service through text, email, and/or quick phone chats for cheerleading, holding you accountable, and/or checking in.
- Reflection session after every 6 sessions – After every 6 sessions, I will tell you the story of your evolution from my perspective using the notes I take during our sessions as well as the correspondence between sessions. This provides you a glimpse into the changes you have created for yourself during the coaching relationship.
- Choice of cadence – You choose your cadence. That said, my most successful partnerships have occurred bi-monthly. This offers my clients adequate time to complete their assignments without losing momentum. In the spirit of accountability, a session is deducted if you do not schedule a session within 5-weeks of the prior session.
package 1 : I want to improve in a few leadership areas
This is for you if you feel comfortable leading and want to address a few of the finer points that hinder you from becoming a more influential and engaging leader.
- Hogan Assessments
- 6 60-minute sessions
- 1 60-minute reflection session
- 1 15-minute phone check-in between sessions
- Email check-ins every 12-15 days
- All subsequent sessions remain at the 6-hour rate.
package 2: I’m new to leadership and I’m lost
This is for you if you feel like you are struggling with stepping into this latest level of leadership, whether frontline, manager of managers, or executive.
- Hogan Assessments
- 12 60-minute sessions
- 2 60-minute reflection sessions (1st after 6 sessions, 2nd after 12 sessions)
- Unlimited support between sessions including check-ins every 7-10 days
- All subsequent sessions remain at the 12-hour rate.
You can also choose not to engage in a package. Instead, you can choose ad hoc coaching at an hourly rate. This would include assigned homework, an email check-in every 14-21 days, and email support between sessions. Both the Hogan Assessments and Review and Reflection sessions are available at an additional cost.
For additional services including group coaching, leadership development curriculum, team building, career workshops, and speaking engagements please contact me for additional information.